According to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, there are 1.6 million residents in U.S. nursing facilities. More than half of these residents suffer a fall each year. Approximately 10% of falls result in serious injuries.
These accidents cause serious harm to victims. Injuries create fear, restriction of activities, and a reduced quality of life. In addition to falls, neglect, assault and battery, and medical malpractice are just some of the ways that nursing home abuse can occur. When you need help, your Wauwatosa nursing home abuse lawyer team at Groth Law Firm is here to be an advocate for your loved one.
Can you receive financial compensation for nursing home abuse?
Yes, you can receive financial compensation for nursing home abuse. When abuse or neglect causes an injury to someone living in a nursing home, it may be the basis of a legal claim. Damages may reflect additional medical expenses, harm to freedom, a more limited lifestyle, and even pain and suffering. A lawyer for nursing home abuse can bring a claim on your loved one’s behalf.
What can I do if my loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse and neglect in Wauwatosa?
If your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse and neglect in Wauwatosa, you may take any of the following steps:
- Call 911 – If you suspect that your loved one is in immediate danger, calling 911 can send first responders to the scene and begin an investigation.
- Call the police – Even in cases that are not an emergency, contact the police if you suspect that your loved one is the victim of abuse or neglect. Law enforcement can investigate to see if a criminal violation has occurred.
- Report Caregiver Misconduct to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services Division of Quality Assurance (DQA) – The State of Wisconsin investigates unsafe conditions, abuse, lack of staffing, and other issues that impact quality of life for residents of care facilities. You may file a complaint online or by phone.
- Ask Wisconsin Adult Protective Services for Help – Adult Protective Services accepts reports for at-risk adults and the elderly. APS can investigate, identify safety risks, and determine the appropriate response to protect your loved one.
- Work with Groth Law Firm – Making a criminal complaint alone is not enough to claim the financial compensation that your loved one may be entitled to. When you work with Groth Law Firm, they can help you take the steps to pursue a civil claim and receive financial compensation.
Examples of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Harm can occur in a nursing home because of abuse or neglect. Abuse is an affirmative act that hurts someone, like assault and battery. Neglect is when harm occurs because of a lack of attention and care. Examples of nursing home abuse and neglect may include:
- Physical abuse – Assault and battery, shoving, physical restraint, hitting with objects, force feeding, and being overly rough during transfers
- Emotional abuse – Insulting the resident, communicating threats, belittlement, humiliation, or intimidation. Emotional abuse can be subtle, and it can take many forms
- Sexual abuse – Non-consensual touching or misuse of a position of power to engage in sexual contact or activity
- Financial abuse – The resident should know and understand their finances to the extent that they are able. When financial accounts are drained and caregivers help themselves to overpayments, the individual is the victim of financial abuse
- Physical neglect – Inadequate nutrition, infrequent bathing, inadequate bathroom use and attention, and leaving the resident in the same position without movement
- Medical negligence – Not responding to the need for medical attention, ignoring cries for help, errors in dispensing medication, a lack of routine nursing care, and failing to identify the need for medical care
- Social isolation – Residents should be able to move about and socialize with other residents to the extent that they are able
Whatever kind of abuse your loved one is experiencing, all abuse is terrible. Your loved one entered a home in order to have the care that they need. When they’re harmed instead, you feel anger, disappointment, guilt, and frustration. You’re left wondering where to turn. Our Wauwatosa nursing home abuse lawyers can help you fight back. We can work to hold those responsible accountable for their actions and claim financial compensation on behalf of your loved one.
Signs of nursing home abuse and neglect
The signs of nursing home abuse and neglect can be hard to see. If you notice any of the following behaviors or warnings, it may be a sign something is wrong:
- Bruises, unexplained broken bones
- Denied access to see or speak with your loved one
- Unusual isolation or anxiety
- Explanations for injuries that don’t make any sense
- Limited access to finances and financial records
- Changes in sleeping or eating patterns
- Sudden weight loss
- Bed sores
- Infections and frequent illness
- Signs of physical restraint
- Wandering away
- Hesitating to speak in the presence of staff
How can a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer help me?
Nursing home cases are complex. The care facility may be eager to minimize the situation and hide evidence. A nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer helps you investigate, cut through denials and delays, and get to the truth. Then, they help you pursue your rights in court.
At Groth Law Firm, our legal services are comprehensive. We take care of all written court documents, court appearances, trials and hearings, investigations, settlement negotiations, and more. We work your case from start to finish to hold wrongdoers accountable and achieve justice.
What can I get in compensation for nursing home abuse and neglect?
The amount that you can get in compensation for nursing home abuse and neglect depends on the severity of harm that has occurred to the victim. Financial losses like extra medical care that is necessary because of injuries may be a part of damages. In addition, the victim may also claim an additional amount to fairly reflect their pain and emotional suffering.
Why choose Groth Law Firm
At Groth Law Firm, we understand the impact your injuries can have on every area of life. We’re strong legal advocates for those who have suffered harm while in nursing care. When an injury or other harm happens in a nursing home, it’s often the fault of someone else’s actions, failure to act, or poor planning. When you need to hold wrongdoers accountable and access financial relief, Groth Law Firm is a place you can turn for professional and dedicated legal services.
Attorney Jon P. Groth has tried cases throughout Wisconsin in both state and federal courts. He is among the elite group of lawyers who has appeared before the Wisconsin Supreme Court. The Groth Law Firm is proud to be litigation attorneys who represent their clients with a personalized plan for each case. Whether it’s best to go to trial or work towards the appropriate settlement, we have the skill, experience, and determination to work towards your goals.
Wauwatosa Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Free Consultation
Our Wauwatosa nursing home abuse lawyers are currently taking new cases. Contact us for your free consultation. Let us help you help your loved one and fight for their legal rights. Call or message us today to begin.