Special Damages Vs. General Damages: Here’s What You Need To Know

Posted on

Anyone injured due to another party’s negligent, careless, or intentional actions is entitled to receive monetary compensation. Under Wisconsin laws, the at-fault party must restore the injured party to their pre-injury state. Since they can’t erase what occurred, they can do this by providing a financial settlement. The compensation an injured party receives is typically divided into two categories: special damages and general damages.

Special damages, also known as economic damages, refer to the financial losses you suffer from your injuries. They are relatively easy to prove and calculate with receipts, bills, and wage loss statements from your employer. They can include:

  • Past and future medical bills
  • Medical equipment
  • Prescription medications
  • Rehabilitation and therapies
  • Lost wages
  • Damaged or destroyed property

General damages are the intangible losses and inconveniences you have suffered as a result of your injury. Since they are immaterial, they don’t have an inherent value or any bills or receipts to prove them. Also known as non-economic damages, they might include:

  • Physical pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Mental anguish
  • Lost quality of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Scarring or disfigurement
  • Humiliation

Call Us Today to Speak with a Wisconsin Personal Injury Attorney

If you have sustained a personal injury, contact an attorney as soon as possible. To schedule a consultation with an experienced Wisconsin personal injury lawyer, call Groth Law Firm today at 414-768-2727.

Personal Injury FAQ

How is compensation for general damages determined?

The value of your general damages depends on the severity of your injuries and their impact on your life. Typically, general damages are paid at 1.5 to five times the value of special damages.

What if I don’t receive a fair settlement offer for my special or general damages?

You don’t have to accept any settlement offered to you. If you don’t believe it fairly represents your damages, you can choose to litigate your claim.

Can I ask for additional damages after my claim is settled?

No, once you have agreed to a settlement, signed the offer, and received the money, you can’t request more money. Even if you find out your injuries are more severe than you first believed, you won’t have any recourse at that point.

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.