Wisconsin Personal Injury Attorneys
One Click, That is it! ®
Obtain assistance with your auto accident or other injury claim by calling or clicking below:Free Case Evaluation Personal Injury Calculator
As Seen On:
The Benefits of Hiring Groth Law Firm:
#1 We Work For YOU.
The insurance company has a team of attorneys working for them. You deserve the same advantage.
#2 Attention to Detail
We employ a team of investigators to ensure you have every advantage in your case.
#3 Client Service
We pride ourselves on client service. You will always know the status of your case.
#4 No Upfront Cost
As your legal representative, we’re in this together. That means we don’t get paid unless you do.
Wisconsin Personal Injury Attorneys
People get injured in all types of situations, and many of those situations are the fault of another person or product. When someone or something else causes you injury, you are legally entitled to collect compensation for your medical bills and other inconveniences, depending on the circumstances of the accident. In fact, you could collect three types of damages: (1) economic, (2) non-economic, and (3) punitive. Of course, this depends on the type of injury and the actions of the defendant—the at-fault person or company.
That’s where you will need the help of a Wisconsin personal injury lawyer like the Groth Law Firm. Based in Milwaukee, we can help you determine who may have contributed to your injuries and seek compensation on your behalf.
$3.0MPremises Liability More Results
$1.15MTrucking Accident More Results
$800KCar Accident More Results
$500KCar Accident More Results
Types of Damages
Your circumstances dictate what kind of damages you might collect in a personal injury lawsuit. Economic damages are often referred to as special damages and include those with a price attached. Special damages might consist of past and future medical costs, past and future lost wages, funeral and burial expenses, and replacement of personal property—including vehicles—damaged in the accident.
Non-economic damages are often referred to as general damages and include pain and suffering, loss of companionship, inconvenience, and loss of consortium. General damages are usually available to those who suffer from long-term injuries sustained in an accident.
Punitive damages are only awarded to punish a defendant for grossly negligent or intentional actions. A drunk driver that caused an accident might have to pay punitive damages. Someone who kidnaps you with an intent to harm you might have to pay punitive damages in a civil lawsuit in addition to any criminal penalties the criminal court might order.
Types of Accidents
Sometimes, an accident is just that: an accident. Other times, the defendant’s negligence may cause your injuries. Groth Law Firm helps you recover compensation for injuries sustained in many different types of accidents, including:
- Traffic accidents: In 2019—just through October—there were 456 fatal crashes, resulting in 488 fatalities across Wisconsin. That is down from 524 fatal crashes in 2016. Wisconsin had 31,066 injury crashes for 2016, according to the Department of Transportation. Traffic accidents could cause anything from minor injuries to severe injuries, long-term injuries, or even death, especially if you are a pedestrian hit by a vehicle.
- Motorcycle accidents: If you are in a motorcycle accident, you are more likely to suffer severe injuries or death because a bike doesn’t have the protection that a car or truck has. Catastrophic injuries caused by a motorcycle accident are often long-term injuries that might include traumatic brain injury or back and neck injuries.
- Bicycle accidents: Like motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents usually result in catastrophic injuries or death because riders have little to no protection. Even with the high chance of suffering catastrophic injuries if someone hits them, people still ride bicycles, especially in cities, since that mode of transportation is often more convenient and healthier.
- Other modes of transportation: You could get in an accident if you are riding a boat, train, bus, or even an airplane. Something can always go wrong. For example, another boat might hit your boat or create a large wake that overturns your boat. A bird could fly into an airplane engine. Trains derail for many reasons. Additionally, you are usually traveling with many other people and their luggage. If an overhead cabinet opens in flight, luggage could fall on you. It is also easy to trip when in crowded situations, especially on an airplane or a bus. In any type of motor vehicle or pedestrian accident, if the defendant’s actions were grossly negligent, you might be entitled to punitive damages in addition to general and special damages.
- Workplace accidents: In many cases, when someone suffers injuries at work, the injured individual files a workers’ compensation claim. However, you might not get enough compensation to cover your injuries, the loss of a loved one, pain and suffering, or even loss of companionship. Workers’ compensation rules are complicated. Before filing a workers’ compensation claim, contact a personal injury attorney who is experienced in workers’ compensation laws to discuss your case. If your employer was negligent by not providing safety equipment or did not replace worn out safety equipment, your employer could also pay punitive damages, especially if the accident causes long-term catastrophic injuries or death.
Other Types of Accidents
Personal injury accidents are not limited to vehicle, malpractice, and workplace accidents. You might slip and fall in a store or on an icy sidewalk. You could suffer injuries from a defective product, such as a prescription drug, a toy, or even a vehicle. Only after several people suffer injuries due to a defective part will manufacturers issue a recall.
Nursing home neglect could also cause injuries to loved ones. Mistreatment of a patient or ignoring a patient so that the patient doesn’t get enough to eat or falls out of bed when staff does not come help are all examples of mistreatment that could lead to injuries.
Another common personal injury is a dog bite or other types of an animal attack. Even if a dog owner was not negligent and his dog bit someone, the owner is usually liable for any injuries.
Intentional torts are actions that involve an intent to harm someone. For example, assault and battery are intentional actions. You could suffer injuries because the person is beating you. Criminal courts often prosecute intentional torts, but you can bring a personal injury lawsuit in civil court in addition to the state’s criminal case. As with accidents, the defendant might have to pay more than just medical expenses.
Call Our Personal Injury Attorneys Today
Contact Groth Law Firm online or by calling (414) 240-0707 to schedule your free consultation if someone injured you in any type of accident. We look forward to listening to you and doing what we can to help.