Out Of State Car Accidents

Posted on

Every car accident will leave a driver feeling anxious, uncertain, and overwhelmed. If you sufferer any kind of injuries or losses following a car accident, you may have many questions regarding your next steps. However, if your car accident occurred in a different state, you may have additional questions regarding how to legally ensure that your rights remain protected and that you can still receive compensation for your injuries and losses. Learning how to handle a car accident in a state other than your own can help you potentially avoid financially costly errors. Out of state car accidents tend to have severe financial impacts.

Immediately Following the Accident

In many respects, the actions you take following an accident in a different state will be similar to those you would take in your own state. Make sure to follow these steps:

  • Call 911 immediately if you are able to do so.
  • Communicate with police officers and provide them with your contact information and answer their questions regarding the accident. Request an official police report when it is completed.
  • Obtain contact information from all other drivers, passengers, and witnesses involved in the accident, including car insurance information and license plate numbers.
  • If you are physically able to do so, take pictures of the accident scene, your vehicle, and any injuries you have.
  • Seek immediate medical attention for an evaluation. You should always allow emergency personnel to evaluate you at the scene of the accident, as they will have the ability to determine if you need to go to the emergency room or can wait until the next day to see a primary care physician or healthcare provider.
  • Contact your car insurance company.
  • Keep a detailed record of medical bills and wages that were lost due to your inability to return to work. Along with property damage and bills regarding the repair or replacement of your vehicle, and daily accounting of any pain and suffering

Understanding Car Insurance Coverage in Another State

Every state has a different set of standards regarding how much car insurance a driver must have in order to operate a motor vehicle legally in the state. It is important to note that your car insurance will cover you in any state. This means that if you are in an accident in another state that requires higher car insurance coverage than your state of origin, your car insurance will automatically apply those higher standards to your car insurance coverage.

No-Fault State Insurance Systems

No-fault insurance states require that a car accident victim must look to their own car insurance policy first to pay for any injuries and losses resulting from a car accident. The states that follow this type of law include Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Utah.

Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney

If you have suffered injuries or losses in an out-of-state car accident, there are other factors to consider such as comparative negligence and contributory negligence. Visiting with an experienced car accident attorney can help ensure that your legal rights remain protected no matter what state you had an accident in. Contact an experienced Milwaukee auto accident lawyer at Groth Law Firm S.C.  at (414) 768-2727 for a free consultation today to learn how we can help you with your case, and help you receive the compensation you deserve.

[LEARN MORE]: Do I Need to File a Claim If I Have a Headache After My Car Accident ?

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.