How To Prove Lost Wages In A Car Accident Case

Posted on

Many people suffer serious injuries following a car accident. However, along with substantial medical bills, you may be facing the inability to return to work due to your severe injuries. As the medical bills continue to mount, you may be concerned about how to not only pay your health care providers but also how to pay your monthly bills. If you have lost wages due to your injuries from a car accident, you have the right to receive compensation from the negligent party for not only your injuries but also the lost income you experienced.

What is considered lost wages?  

Lost wages typically refer to the amount of compensation or pay a worker receives at their place of employment had they not been injured in a car accident and were able to go to work during that period of time. Lost wages can entail time from a few weeks to several months. In fact, if your injuries left you unable to return to your place of employment permanently, you may also be able to file a claim for loss of future wages as well. Lost wages do not just include the amount of compensation that a worker earns. Lost wages also will include any sick days, vacation time, retirement benefits, bonuses, car allowances, transportation allowances, stock options, or any other employee benefits or perks that a worker misses as a direct result of being unable to return to work due to their injuries. 

How do I make a lost wages claim? 

If you are considering making a lost wages claim as part of your personal injury case, you will need to have an independent medical examination that concludes that your injuries are a direct result of the car accident. additionally, your employer will need to provide documentation regarding any income, wages, employee benefits, or any other type of financial compensation received from work to the negligent driver’s insurance company to be able to include it in the personal injury claim. You will likely also need to include an IRS W-2 form or last year’s tax return. You may also need to include wage documents or former pay stubs that prove the amount of salary that you typically earned. 

Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney Today

You have a legal right to receive compensation, not just for your injuries and your medical bills, but also for your lost wages that relate directly to your car accident.  Contact an experienced car accident attorney at Groth Law at (414) 768-2727 for a free consultation today.


Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.