Hit and Run and Ran

Posted on

Let’s say someone is hit by a car and the car doesn’t stop.  We know it as a “Hit and Run.”  Many times the police, with the help of witnesses, are able to find the car that caused the collision.  But what if the car hits and runs and ultimately gets away.  Or if the car that causes the collision has no insurance.  If you’re injured who pays for your medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering and inconvenience. 
In Wisconsin, if you have auto insurance you will also have Uninsured Motorist coverage.  Wisconsin law allows the car accident victim to make a claim against their own auto insurance.  After the Uninsured Motorist coverage pays for your injuries the insurance company has the right and ability to investigate further and get paid back from the driver of the hit and run vehicle.  
Remember to talk with your insurance agent about your coverage.  Ask about the limits of your uninsured motorist coverage.  It’s important to have enough coverage to fully compensate you just in case you are hit by a driver that flees the scene of an accident or does not have any insurance.
Jon Groth is a Wisconsin Personal Injury Attorney handling cases throughout Wisconsin and most recently in Racine, Green Bay, Plymouth and Wauwatosa.

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.